Saturday, October 30, 2010

Disorganized Academia

Originally posted: February 9, 2010

Well then.

I have no real understanding of the collegiate educational system as it stands. I will soon be graduating with a bachelors in science and i’ve realized that i haven’t actually learned anything. I mean, i have learned a lot in the past 4 years, a nice range, even; however, when i enter medical school i fell like the slate will be 100% clean and i will be starting from scratch…again.

I suppose if i were to attend a cocktail party, i could successfully entertain one interested in Plato’s cave allegory; however, this would not be relevant to me saving someone’s life in the operating room.

I understand there is some innate, unrelenting desire by the educational system to make sure the students they produce are well-rounded and knowledgeable in all aspects of academia; but why draw the line so far down in the library stacks? A class or two encompassing art history or philosophy for one that is majoring in a different field should suffice. But sadly, I have spent about 2 of my 4 college years learning things that will most likely fail to reemerge as anything other than random trivia. So instead of me acquiring this bachelors and then proceeding off to earn a MD, I probably would have been better off leaving high school and going straight to study medicine.

But what’s the use of complaining now? I do only have less than 3 months until I stroll across the graduation stage. …ugh.

No comments: